No matter if you’re a DJ or the lead singer of a band, it’s always a good idea to have your own website in order to promote your musical talent and to let people know what’s going on with your career.
Overall, there are countless places where you can easily promote your band for free online. Several artists today like to use YouTube or music-based sites like SoundCloud or Mixcloud. Any one of these will get your music out there for others to see. But, you actually need a site of your own as well that specifically revolves around what you’re doing and places you’re going as an aspiring artist.
Here’s the step by step process on how to make a music site using one of the world’s most popular platforms – WordPress.
Why Should You Use WordPress to Create Your Music Site?
Here are the main reasons why people use WordPress to create a music website:
- Literally thousands of unique themes to choose from
- Easy to install and use: little to no coding necessary
- Large community support
The Essentials to Make a Music Website
- Your own domain
- A reliable web host
- Some cool photos of your band (or you)
- Existing samples of your music online that you can easily link to
- Some spare time and a bit of patience
Selecting a Great Theme
For the sake of this article, just use a basic theme in WordPress known as ‘Singl’ since it’s totally free and contains all the functionality you need to get started. Singl is 100 percent responsive, which means your website will look great on virtually any mobile device.
Get a Domain Name, Hosting, and Install WordPress
The first thing you need to do is to choose a good domain name for your site and pick a reliable hosting site in order to accommodate your new music website. Next, install WordPress.
Installing Your WordPress Theme
If you already picked a different theme besides Singl to create your site, proceed to install your other theme instead. However, the following steps will show you how to install Singl.
- Hover your mouse on ‘appearance’ on the left side of your dashboard and click on ‘Themes’. You should now see the many available themes along with some previews.
- Next, upload the theme called Singl that you previously downloaded. Click the big button called ‘Add New Theme’.
- Click on ‘Upload’ and then click on ‘Choose File’. Click ‘Install Now’ after you browse to the spot where the Singl WordPress theme is saved on your computer.
- Once Singl is done uploading, next click the button called ‘Activate’.
- Click on the name of your new site in the top corner of your dashboard and click on ‘Visit Site’. Now your new website is fully loaded, including some demo content for you to watch.
Adding Content to Your New Site
Singl won’t automatically turn on the menu of a page. Therefore, if you want to use the menu, do the following:
- Go to ‘Appearance’ and then ‘Menus’ on the dashboard.
- Next, click on ‘Create a New Menu’ and proceed to pick a name.
- Choose the specific pages you want to view on the menu by checking the appropriate boxes. When you’re finished, simply click on ‘Add to Menu’.
- Check the tickbox called ‘Primary Menu’ and then click on the button called ‘Save Menu’.
- Once you refresh your live site, you’ll be able to view a new drop down menu.
Typically, most WordPress themes contain a default page menu that’s active right from the start. These steps, however, only pertain to the Singl WordPress theme.
Keep Adding More Content
Navigate back to your dashboard. At this point you will see ‘Pages’ and ‘Posts’. They both have an option called ‘Add New’ while hovering over them. Experiment by adding a page and a post. You’re just getting the hang of it for now, so it doesn’t really matter what you post.
You’ll use an interface that looks very similar to a Word processor when creating your content. You can format it anyway you like by adding italics, bold type, etc. You can add images as well if you like. If you’re even the slightest bit familiar with a basic word processor, then using WordPress will be a breeze.
How to Embed Music
You’ll need to incorporate some of your actual music clips since one of the main reasons you’re creating a music website is to highlight your musical talent. You can use the demo post you already created called ‘Our new single’ as a demonstration.
- Click ‘Posts’ and then ‘All posts’ from your dashboard. Select the specific post from the list and then proceed to click ‘Edit’. You are now on the editing screen. You should be getting familiar using WordPress by now since you’ve been adding some content. However, take note of the ‘Text’ and ‘Visual’ options for editing your content.
- Find the specific content on YouTube you want to embed on your site.
- Under the video, click the button labeled ‘Share’ and click on the ‘Embed’ link next.
- On the options screen for embedding, select the proper size for your particular video. Next, copy the code to the clipboard of your computer.
- Return to the edit screen and then paste in your code. First, be sure you’re in the ‘Text’ view. Paste the code where you want your YouTube video to show in your post or on your page.
- When you’re finished, click the button called ‘Update’.
- Return to your site’s live view and refresh the page if you need to. Now you can see your fresh content on your site.
Embedding content from other key sources works just the same way. Whatever site you’re on will give you the code and then you simply just insert it into your site’s content. Make sure you’re always in ‘Text’ view or you’ll have problems.
Get Ready to Launch Your New Site
Now that you have some content, you’re nearly ready to launch your new site. But, first you’ll need to eliminate the default demo content:
- Delete the post called ‘Hello World’
- Delete ‘Sample Page’
- If you want a home page that’s static rather than dynamic, then simply create a page and proceed to go to ‘Settings’ and then ‘Reading’ to establish it as your home page.
- Start interacting and linking to other social networks. The majority of music themes have the necessary functionality to do this. Go to ‘Appearance’ and ‘Customize’ in the Singl theme. You can choose to incorporate a vast range of links to a variety of social sites under the section called ‘Theme Options’. Icons should appear on your website’s header.
- Carefully think about the overall look and feel of your site and what you want it to convey. Several themes will let you modify the fonts and color schemes if you like. With regard to Singl, you can find those options in ‘Appearance’ and then in ‘Customize’.
Now that you know how to make a music website, it’s time to promote it.
Advertising your website’s URL is just the beginning. You’ll also want to maintain an ongoing presence on various social network channels in order to engage with your fan base and to give them plenty of reasons to keep coming back. It’s also crucial that you continually update your site with fresh content. The overall goal is to get your audience to come back and visit your site in addition to giving the search engines enough new content to keep indexing and ranking you high in the listings.
Making a music website isn’t difficult, especially using WordPress. It just takes a little bit of time, patience, and creativity to make it all come together. Use GreenGeeks.com as your ideal hosting company to ensure the best experience possible.