If you are looking for a user-friendly and highly customizable Web Content Management System, MODx is an option to consider. This program makes designing a custom website easy and fast. One of the main benefits is that people who choose MODx can easily use any HTML themes without additional coding work, which are available for free all over the web. In addition, webmasters can install and set up MODx in just a few simple steps.
- Obtain a domain and web hosting account, preferably one from a host that uses cPanel. Log into your cPanel account and get ready to begin the steps to set up MODx.
- There will be several icons on the right. Scroll down, way down, until you see the grouping called “Software/Services.” There will be several options including QuickInstall.
- Select QuickInstall. This is an automatic installer for several web applications, including MODx. You can also use the popular installer Fantastico De Luxe, although this guide applies specifically to installing MODx with QuickInstall. It should not be difficult to apply the next steps to Fantastico if you prefer it.
- Locate MODx in the section called CMS Software. This should be located on the left. Once it is selected, the software will prompt you to select “Continue.”
- Select your domain. If you have completely registered your domain, it should be listed in the drop down menu. A blank field will pop up in which you can type the subdirectory upon which you wish to install MODx. Most people will want MODx in their root directory. If this is the case for you, leave this field blank. This will ensure that MODx shows up when people land on any page in your domain.
- Select an admin username, password, and email. You will be asked for these in this step. Ensure that you have a current email listed, as your installation information will be sent here.
- Click “Install Now.” The installation will complete on its own, at which point you will be given a link to your control panel for MODx along with your admin sign in information. Screenshot this page if you can, as this information is both important and easy to lose.
- Wait. If you acquired hosting and a domain immediately before installing MODx, you may get a “Page Not Found” error page when you click on the link to the MODx control panel. There is a simple reason for this; domain registration information often takes up to two days to propagate over global DNS servers. If you receive an error, try again in a few hours.
- Enjoy your website. Once your domain registration information has propagated globally, you will see a dashboard at the url provided once you have signed in with the information given. This will allow you to configure and personalize your website. The MODx dashboard is very easy to use and intuitive, so the process should be easy from here.
At the end of this process, you should have a website that you can be proud of, using one of the custom MODx themes or one of the many HTML themes available for free or a small price. Users of this Web Content Management System tend to be happy with their choice, due to both the easy installation and the high configurability.